Zambia School Project Updates

Greetings Everyone!
Thank you for coming to our blog to learn more about the Zambia School Project.We are excited to share with you all of the updates we have on how the school project is going.I want to let you all know that God has been doing some amazing things during the preparations of this curriculum. 
I would like to share two with you:
           First StoryAs I searched the internet for different books and materials I would find one that I would like, and I would begin pursuing it. The process would initially begin well, but for reasons unknown to me, the people would no longer answer my emails, or I would be unable to reach them by phone even though I had made contact with them previously. So, I would pray and ask God if this wasn’t right, then show me something else. God did each time. I would find new resources that were even better than the ones I was previously considering. The communication process would go rather smoothly even though we were dealing with an 8-hour time difference as many of my contacts have been in South Africa. Through God's favor, I was able to purchase beginner reader books that contain stories of people, places, and situations similar to their own which was of high importance to me. God has truly help lead me to all the curriculum and resource books, and He continues to guide me as I make some adjustments to the Bob Jones curriculum so that the lessons will be more suitable and usable for the teachers and students.
          Second Story:  The store in which I have chosen to print all of the documents at has lessened the amount I owe each time because of the employees asking what the project was about, and who it was for. They first issued me a teacher discount, then they have given me a nonprofit discount, and occasionally have given a discount in case of any "mistakes" they have made along the way. Each time I am amazed at how God is providing for this project. I have been able to stretch our printing budget farther, and as a result I am able to print off more documents than I originally thought. I have currently printed close to 3200 documents, and I am in the process of gathering and completing more documents to be printed.
Some materials I have been able to get there already. Here are some pictures of the children reading with their new books.






Here is some of the material I have gathered and we are praying to send out in July.

I hope to continue to share with you all pictures and other updates along the way so that you all can see the fruits of your giving. It is our intention to get 2 barrels ready for shipping  by July. Please continue to pray over this project as many things need to come into place so that all of these materials can reach Zambia safely. Thank you again for joining us in this effort, we appreciate it so much.






Many of you have received this letter, but in case yours has gotten misplaced it will be here for your reference.


To our family and friends,
We hope you have all been able to stay warm during these cold winter months.  We know it has been a few years since our last letter, but we wanted to reconnect with you and update you on the school ministry at the Mission of Love Community Orphanage in Zambia, Africa where Nate and I served previously in 2013. Since our return from Zambia we as a family have been rebuilding and seeking the Lord on what He has for our family.

Even though we have yet to return to Zambia we have been actively working on the Grade 1 - Grade 4 programs. Over the past 2 years I (Melanie) have been researching, gathering, creating and transforming resources in America to supplement the Zambian curriculum the children currently are using. The school currently has 125 kids enrolled from grades 1-5. During our stay in Zambia, we got to experience and see the struggles of a poor education system. Teachers had lack of resources and supplies, and the ratio between teachers and students was very discouraging. (1:85) on average. This was the big reason why Jako and Amber Joubert wanted better for their children in the orphanage and in the surrounding community. Through partnership with the locals they have been able to build a community school. Currently, 46% of the population in Zambia is children between the ages of 0-14. 

The education and belief systems of these children will greatly impact the future of their community and country. It is our desire that these children will be able to attend a school that not only offers a promising education, but more importantly have access to learning about Jesus and experience His love for them. I believe that this school can be a beacon of hope and love, and transform their community. I have already attained 4- 55-gallon barrels that we will be filling up with all the school supplies, and supplemental materials. We are seeking to raise $5,000 within the next month for nonfiction resource books, math and science learning supplies and manipulatives, personal marker boards, maps, and storage containers to protect the materials, just to name a few. We are using a shipping company called AmeZam to ship the materials to Zambia. The next shipment date is in July. 

Please prayerfully consider giving to this ministry. For any further questions please contact Melanie at 319-269-2359 or you can email us at nmsweerin@hotmail.com. To learn more about the Mission of Love Community Orphanage go to www.missionoflovezambia.org.  Please continue to keep our family in prayer as we discern how we can best support the school ministry and all the children in the community that it serves. Also, please continue to pray for this community and the children to seek and find the truth.   
Please make checks out to Faith Assembly Church. In the memo line please put write Zambia School Project.

Faith Assembly of God Church
5112 Lafayette Road,
Elk Run Heights, IA 50707

 Or you can write a check to Melanie Sweerin  at  439 N. Division St. Cedar Falls, IA 50613
             

*
Visit out blog for updates on the project: https://nathanandmelaniesweerin.blogspot.com.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweerin Family Ministry and Travel Update

Elijah Dale Sweerin 9/22/13

Zambia Update